ABOUT CHRIST THE REDEEMER
- Christ the Redeemer is a statue of Christ set in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, which is considered the world’s second largest art deco statue. The base is 39.6 meters (130 ft) long and 30 meters (98 ft) wide. It weighs 635 tonnes (700 short tons) and is 700-meters (2,300 ft) located on the top of the Corcovado Mountains in Tijuca Forrest National Park. It is one of the tallest statues of its kind in the world. It is made of strong concrete and soapstone, it was constructed between 1922 and 1931.
- The idea of erecting a huge statue on the top of Corcovado was first suggested in the mid-1850s when the Catholic priest Pedro Maria Boss urged Princess Isabel to fund the construction of a huge religious monument.
- Princess Isabel did not pay much attention to the idea, and it was rejected in 1889 after Brazil became a republic, which by law mandated the separation of church and state.
- A second proposal to install an unprecedented statue on the mountain was brought by Rio’s Catholic Circle in 1921. The group raised a donation called Semana do Monumento to raise donations and signatures in support of the statue’s construction. Organized the program.
- The donations came mostly from the Brazilian Catholic community. Designs chosen for the “Statue of Christ” included a representation of the Christian cross, a statue of Jesus with the earth in his hand, and a platform symbolizing the world.
- The statue of Christ the Redeemer with open arms was chosen. It is also a symbol of peace. Small spikes have also been placed on the top of the statue to prevent birds from sitting on it.
- Local engineer Heater da Silva Costa designed the statue; The structure of the statue was designed by the French sculptor Paul Landowski. A group of engineers and technicians studied the presentations made by Landowski and from the concrete concrete structure rather than Faulad (designed by Albert Cacot). It was decided to prepare, which was more suitable for the statue of the form of the cross.
- The outer layers are of soapstone which was chosen due to its everlasting properties and ease of use.  The construction took nine years from 1922 to 1931 and cost US $ 250,000 equivalent (approximately US $3,671,152.53 in 20019).
- In October 2006, on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the statue, the Archbishop of Rio Cardinal Eusebio Oscar Shield established a chapel (named after the patron saint of Brazil – Nossa Senhora Apparesida or “Our Lady of the Apparition”) under the statue. It allows people of Catholicism to hold naming and organizing weddings there.
- On February 10, 2008, during a severe thunderstorm, lightning struck the statue, causing some damage to its fingers, head and eyebrows. A renovation was attempted by the State Government of Rio de Janeiro and the Archdiocese to replace some of the outer layers of soapstone and repair the lightning rods installed on the statue.
- Christ the Redeemer was named one of the new Seven Wonders of the World in a list created by The New Open World Corporation, based in Switzerland, on 7 July 2007.  Major corporate sponsors including Banco Bradesco and Rede Globo called the statue Lobbied to be selected in the top seven.
- The renovation work of Christ the Redeemer Memorial, declared a protected monument by the National Heritage Institute of IPHAN in 2009, was completed before the arrival of Pope John Paul II in 1980. Further renovations In 1990 an agreement was signed between the Archdiocese of Rio de Janeiro, the media company Rede Globo, the oil company Shell do Brasil, the environmental regulator IBAMA, the National Heritage Secretariat SPHAN and the Government of the City of Rio de Janeiro. Completed through.
- More work on statue and its surroundings was completed in 2003 and early 2010. In 2003, a set of stairs, walkways and elevated platforms were installed to facilitate access to the platform around the statue.
- In 2010, a four-month renovation was completed by mining company Vail with the participation of Archdiocese  focusing on the statue itself. The internal structure of the statue was rebuilt and its soapstone mosaic layer was rebuilt by removing a layer of fungi and other microorganisms and repairing small cracks. Lightning rods mounted on the head and arms of the statue were also repaired.
- One hundred people were involved in the reconstruction and more than 60,000 pieces of stone were used which were brought from the same quarry from which the original statue was brought. Play at the 2010 FIFA World Cup during the unveiling of the renovated statue. It was illuminated with green and yellow lights in support of the Brazilian national football team of Vali. Due to the strong winds and rainfall, the maintenance of the statue is necessary from time to time.
NOTE:– All the information provided in this article is based on the research on the internet and from different websites.